Apr 10, 2006

February, 2006 : Calcutta & around -1

Calcutta to Mayapur via Navdweep : It had a been almost a year since i visited Mayapur with some devotees, and i been feeling the urge to visit again. So I finally shook the lethargy and reached Sealdah railway station to catch the “KATWA” local train. Well, by the time i located it, it had already departed. The last train leaves at 8am. There are two more trains leaving from Howrah between 5.30am & 6.30am. I had no option but to change train at Bandel. I was lucky to find a train there, as there is a 'block' between 12am & 4pm. I finally reached Navdweep by 1.30pm. For 50 rupees the rickshaw puller agreed to show me a portion of the temples in Navdweep before dropping me at launch ghat to catch the boat across river to Mayapur. From there it is about a kilometer or two distance to ISKON temple.

Navdweep : I had not realized there were so many places to see around here in Navdweep dham. There is one particular temple, a tree has grown all around it, even through its walls. As i stood in front, i felt this is temple of mother goddess even though the door was closed. I asked the priest and he confirmed that. It is Bhavtarini mata's temple. She is the the presiding deity of Navadweep dham, same as Radharani is for Brindawan. So a trip to Mayapur without a visit to her temple is not fruitful. Near by is Maa Kali temple, again located within a tree which has surrounded it - like a temple built within a tree. The rickshaw puller informs me that these temples are very renowned and even many people from abroad come to pray.

Reaching ISKON, Mayapur : Traveling single has one major hassle, it is always difficult to find a reasonable place to lodge. As expected the receptionist at ISKON refused to give me a room, saying they don't take single guests. Anyway after some persuasion better sense prevails and i got a room. I always find it quite unpleasant to need to coerce a room out even when i am paying full charges. Of course there are many hotels & rest houses near by, but staying within the temple premise is very convenient, and clean too.

In the temple during evening prayers , I manage to catch a sun-flower when the priest showered lord's flowers. I been hoping for a rose, but I am happy non-the-less, last time i had managed to catch none.

Then during the mangal aarti early in the morning the next day, there were a lot of people, so i didnot attempt to catch any. As i stood there, this devotee looked at me twice, and then opened his palms, and there he had two flowers, one rose and one sun-flower. He gave me the rose :)

Pre-dawn prayers ('Mangal aarti') are always nice to participate in, as u watch devotees swarm in one after the other, swaying to the hymns & prayers. I particularly liked the prayer to Narshima, sung by this very young girl in her accented tone, straight it touches the heart.

Returning back : There after i get my breakfast at the near by hotel and manage to catch a wrong train from Navdweep going away from Kolkata! As i get down at the next railway station, cross over to catch the train going in the reverse direction there is a lone young woman sitting on the bench. I thought she would be avoid me, but on the contrary she is looking at me as i reach nearby. She confirms that there should be train within half an hour.

Soon a couple more locals arrive on the scene and a discussion ensues. They have a dispute on one piece of history so one of them rushes to his home to confirm and returns back triumphant! So in general i get a history of the place & around, most of which i have now forgotten except that i must go back there and explore...

No comments: